Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Christmas of scarves and hats

In trying to figure out gifts for my family, I was inspired by the scarves I made for my sister-in-law. Part of the reason she asked for them is that she and her family recently moved, and it's colder where they are now, so she needed something to keep her warm. I took this thought, and figured my neice and nephew, her children, could use hats and scarves as well. I found the PERFECT yarn for my 6 year old neice, who is definitely into anything girly. It is Red Heart Shimmer, with a sparkley thread running through it. I'd also been wanting to try my hand at crocheted cables, so I found an awesome pattern that would work perfectly. For her scarf, I pulled the cable from the hat pattern and improvised a way to make it pop.


Continuing with my post stitch obsession, I found a nice, masculine hat pattern for my nephew. For his scarf, I just did a basic alternating 3 fpdc, 3 bpdc to create a wide ribbed look.


While I was working on my nephew's hat, Little Man tried to claim it as his own. I convinced him that it was for his cousin, but when I finished that one, I would make him one of his own. So, once I finished up all the other Christmas presents, I started on a hat and scarf set for Little Man. I used the same pattern as my nephew's hat for his, and then his scarf was the basic single crochet, chain one, repeat, because I knew it would work quickly.


I think he liked it!

(p.s. sneak peak of another gift!)

Finally, we were finishing up a round of secret sister at our church. I'm hesitant to crochet anything for my secret sisters prior to the reveal, because most of the ladies at church know how yarn-obsessed I am. In this case, I got lucky, because I planned to make the scarf as my secret sister's Christmas gift whether or not it was the reveal, but it was. I loved the pattern I used for my sister-in-law's red scarf, and have been wanting to make another one for someone, so I grabbed a skein of green (her favorite color) Caron Simply Soft and got started. The resulting scarf only used the one skein!



Since I've not made too many scarves since I learned to crochet, it was fun to make all of these different ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment